Whats really interesting is that Ms. Marvel is being praised for being one of the first prominent muslim superhero, nobody seems to notice that even the first Muslim superhero has to be american! Approximately 0.2% of the worlds muslims live in america, but off course she is american. After all, how could superhero’s possibly exist anywhere else than the land of the free and trump?
So while you can argue that Ms. Marvel is “progressive”, it really isn’t. And even more disappointing is that it comic writers this long to create a major Muslim superhero.
After a while, the american-centric stories get really boring and it shows a profound level of ignorance about the real world by comic book writers that basically every superhero I can name (save for black panther) is from America. (note that I am not a particularly avid comic book reader, I’m sure there are obscure characters not from america. But that’s the point; they are obscure. And if they aren’t, they are fighting for western ideals, with western superhero’s. Their unique background is stated in their backstory and forgotten.)
Note that I am not arguing for token characters. But when there are so many cultures, so many niches, so many people, you can base a story off of, why another american with the same western ideals, same western perspective as the thousands of capes before them?
This also relates to the idea of doing reboots. Or another origin story for a character that has has already has hundreds of them (cough superman, batman cough).
It’s just so, repetitive. And this is apparently what the readers want to, because apparently new characters don’t sell (source ted-Talk we watched in class). The genre is for me at least, isn’t that interesting. And what a waste that is. It has so much potential-there are so many things you could say about the human condition in a world where <1% of the population can wipe out the other 99%.
But no. We want another superman story.